May 20, 2009

Riddick in the Hospital

I hated leaving Riddick tonight. Emily is with him, but he is still too young to understand why he has to stay there, and why his Daddy, brother and sisters left him. He hates having his oxygen mask on, so that is the real reason why he worked himself up into a crying fit. Then we had to leave, because I needed to get the other kids home to do homework and go to bed. That's when he started calling my name and reaching for me. I picked him up, and I guess he thought he was going to go with us, because he started to tug at his IV. Emily took him and sat back down on the bed. Then he started calling for Allie and Rohan. He was just screaming. It was heart-wrenching to leave. I hate it. It'll be my turn to stay tomorrow night if he has to stay another night. I pray that he doesn't and that he gets to come home. At least they have officially diagnosed this as an asthma attack, so he can start being treated. For the last year he has had these attacks almost every five to six weeks, and they either say that it's seasonal allergies or pneumonia. Now he'll begin to use a steroid inhaler to hopefully stave off these episodes. I just pray that he gets some sleep tonight and that his O2 levels return to normal.

3 comments:

house said...

Derek,

I am sorry to hear about your son being in the hospital, but am glad he received what I would consider to be a positive diagnosis. I have worked with inhalers and bronchodialators for the last two years and can tell you there are some excellent medications avaiable to help alleviate his symptoms. I empathize with your struggle to leave him at the hospital and myself and my family will keep you, Emily and your family in our thoughts and prayers. Take care.


Jason Miller

Mark Adkins said...

I can remember leaving Eli and Sammy in the ICU and how hard that was. What I can't imagine is leaving them while they called my name (they were both newborns). Hang in there. I'm glad to hear they've diagnosed it and from what I've seen asthma can be easy to stay on top of. I've had many kids in school with inhalers. It just becomes part of their normal routine. Again, hang in there!
-Mark Adkins

Anonymous said...

Oh poor baby Riddick! I had no idea he was in the hospital! He's so cute. And I almost posted the other day on one of his pics, "Finally, a Cook that looks like you!" Anyway, I'll say a prayer for him and for you guys. Sounds tough.

Amy Graziano