February 02, 2011

Cruces, 20 years ago this month...

20 years ago, Danny Wilson and I, along with Chris Fouke, had the pleasure of writing a great many songs with Matt Arms in his upstairs bedroom. Fouke, Wilson, and I had been collaborating since the previous October, but had finally found the right drummer for our band with Matt. It was also in January 1991 that we named our band. Chris came to a rehearsal with several Latin words that he thought might work. We took a vote, and the name "Cruces" was chosen 3 to 1; I was the only opposed. How funny is that? In February we recorded a cassette for our friends by playing live to a boom box recorder. It was our first effort, and we gave away as many as we could afford. Now, twenty years later, my latest effort with my mates in Through Dint of Heavy Wishing is slightly more involved, but no more or less passionate. Cruces in '91 wanted to take over the world, and we had a lot of fun talking about it. We tried for twelve years, with many faces coming and going in the band, and with many stories to tell. Many of my friends from back then still support my musical endeavors, and you mean the world to me. You share in those put-aside, distant dreams of long ago, and I promise that I'll never stop writing music for all of us.

No comments: